- Java 1.6 or higher - A programming language and computing platform for developing cross platform (operating system) software.
- Science of Science tool (Sci2) - A desktop application for information analysis and visualization.
- Acrobat Reader - A PDF reader needed for viewing the visualization results of the tool.
- An image viewer capable of interpreting the PostScript visualization generated by the tool.
- Windows users may have a commercial PostScript viewer from the Adobe Acrobat family already installed. Alternatively you may install the free interpreter Ghostscript and the free viewer GSview (both are required).
- Mac OS X users can use the built-in Preview application and should not need a 3rd party reader.
- Linux users will likely find that their distribution comes pre-installed with Ghostscript and may use one of its included scripts (see ps2pdf).