Data Preparation > Database > NSF > Extract Co-PI Network
Extracts the co-principal-investigatorship network from an NSF database.
Each principal investigator from each document in the input database, including main PIs and co-PIs, is represented by a node. An edge is drawn between the nodes for two PIs if and only if they co-investigated an award in the database.
The output network will include the following summaries of your dataset:
- Node (PI)
- Number of awards investigated in your dataset.
- Total of amount across investigated awards.
- Start date of the earliest award.
- Expiration date of the latest award.
- Edge (Co-investigatorship)
- The number of awards co-investigated by the two connected investigators.
- The joint award amount total between the connected investigators.
For a quick analysis of a small dataset you may wish to merge together investigator entities with identical names. For a scientifically sound analysis of a larger dataset, you can create custom merging orders and perform the merge.